The Darrell Gwynn Chapter has created a Wheelchair Challenge put together to commemorate the 30th anniversary of Darrell Gwynn’s paralyzing accident, the 30th anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act and, of course, National Spinal Cord Injury Awareness Month in September.
GOAL: $1,000,000 CURRENT TOTAL: $456,189
(as of 09/23/2020)
WILL YOU SIT IN THE HOT SEAT?
Participants agree to sit in the “Hot Seat” and we will arrange to have a wheelchair delivered to you for the challenge. We ask that you sit in it and spend some time trying to do every day, normal things in your home or office. While you do these things, you will need to have someone video you as you describe how it feels to have this barrier in your life. Next you will need to challenge one of your friends to sit in the “Hot Seat” for a day.
The idea is to convey how it feels to lose, temporarily, a key function nearly everyone takes for granted – mobility and get the public at large to understand the challenges we face on a daily basis. This has been the reality for Darrell for more than 30 years, and millions of others around the world. It is our hope that this effort will get people to understand a little bit more about the challenges millions face each day.
This is a life and perspective-changing experience, and the awareness and funds raised will aid in finding a cure for paralysis.
- By committing you agree to donate, or raise, a minimum of $10,000 to get out of the “Hot Seat” and pass it on to a friend or colleague who will do the same and will be as passionate as you are.
- You commit to participate in a videotaped testimonial (a few minutes should suffice) reflecting your personal experience of your time spent in a wheelchair.
- You also agree to pay it forward by directly identifying/challenging the next participant.
- To make this successful we’ll need you to share your experience with social and traditional media.
- You agree to allow The Miami Project/Buoniconti Fund to share these activities on their social and traditional media outlets.
- In addition to the money raised, one of the keys to this initiative is to get as many eyeballs on it as possible so it’s important that we involve your social media accounts and, if you’re comfortable, traditional media. It’s extremely important that you tag our organizational social media pages when posting your video. They are Facebook: @cureparalysis Instagram: @TheMiamiProject and on Twitter: @BuonicontiFund. Use the hashtags #DGWheelchairChallenge #StandUpForThoseWhoCant #TheMiamiProject #SCIAwarenessMonth #ADA30
Following your stint in the “Hot Seat” it’s important that you let us know who you will nominate and how best to reach them so that we can make sure they have all the information needed to complete the challenge. The object is to get this wheelchair to get in the hands of as many people as possible so that the Challenge can continue throughout the month of September and beyond….
Thanks to our friends who have committed to take the Darrell Gwynn Wheelchair Challenge and sit in the “Hot Seat”
- RJ Anderson
- Guy Brickman (State Farm Insurance)
- Antron Brown (NHRA)
- Steve Bryson (Musician)
- George Cable (Cable Marine)
- Peter Certo
- Pete Coors (Coors Brewing Company)
- Jeg Coughlin (Pro Stock World Champion)
- Jason Coulter
- Joe Coulter
- Joey Coulter
- Joe Coulter
- Marko Dimitrijevic
- Michelle and Terry Duke (Duke Masonry)
- Randy Dye (Daytona Dodge Chrysler Jeep)
- Kelley Earnhardt
- Bill Elliot (NASCAR)
- John Fox
- Brendan Gaughn
- Bill Goldberg
- Noah Gragson
- Dr. Barth Green (The Miami Project)
- Bill Goldberg (WWE)
- Joe McDonnell
- Johnny Morris (Bass Pro Shops)
- Ryan Newman (Daytona 500 Champion)
- Brian Nicholoff
- Jeff Owen (Josco Sales)
- Max Papis
- Tom Sheehan (Sheehan Autoplex)
- Tony Stewart (NASCAR Champion)
- Steve Torrence (NHRA World Champion)
- Darrell Waltrip (NASCAR Champion)